Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My dryer is opening at the back on the inside and clothing…

Customer Question
My dryer is opening...

My dryer is opening at the back on the inside and clothing is getting caught and torn as I have to pull it out. Not sure if this is repairable. Prior to this, the dryer had been squealing for a long time.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Checking

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Model No. LDE8414ADE

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I would like to know if the problem I described is repairable. I cannot do it myself, but would like to know whether it can be repaired.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/21/2017
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 8 months ago
Joel Swenson

Hello sorry to hear you are having trouble, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

Yes it's repairable, the dryer drum supports have failed and likely the entire bearing has fallen out causing the dryer drum to drop allowing the gap in the back, the drum supports will need to be replaced, if the gap you are talking about is in the metal housing of the back of the dryer itself and not a gap between the dryer drum and the back wall then yes it can still be repaired but it will cost more than the dryer is worth to fix it if that is the case.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5th star to the right at the top, (bottom if using a mobile phone) of the screen, you will see 5 empty stars, click on the 5th star to the right to give me a high rating. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance. Rating the answer does not close the question out it will still be open after you rate. I do not get compensated until you rate, so it will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

in any event - the repair cost is more than it is worth and I should just replace the dryer? Sorry you gave me two scenarios, It appears that the round part at the back is moved and I can almost stick my fingers through one part.
Sorry - can you please confirm if the first option you described (which I think it is) can be repaired and is worth repairing?
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 8 months ago

yes absolutely and I am sure that is what it is, the drum rides on a set of wheels at the back under the drum when those wear out the bearing can fall out causing the wheel to sag really far down which allows the tub to drop and considering you say it was making noise for a long time that is the most obvious problem and it can be repaired and should not cost anymore than around 200.00 for parts and labor.