Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a kitchen aid Supraba microwave. This morning I

Customer Question
I have a kitchen...

I have a kitchen aid Supraba microwave. This morning I noticed the light is on. I opened it and shut it thinking that was the problem, but the light is remaining on. The unit will not work.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

KEMS307D. OR KEMS377D, ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU SUGGEST

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I CAN CLICK ON THE BUTTONS TO COOK OR SET THE CLOCK, IT WILL MOVE TO MY REQUEST BUT WON'T DO ANTHING

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/18/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately it sounds like you have a bad door switch for the microwave. There are 3 door switches for safety reasons, but the microwave will need to be pulled out about 6 inches or so to reach the switches from above the microwave to test them with a multimeter to see which one is bad. If they all check good then you just have a bad control board so the main display control board would have to be replaced, but usually you'll find a faulty switch. Disassembling the microwave isn't that easy unfortunately.

To access, the bottom door will need to be opened, then the 2 screws going into the left and right side trim unscrewed. They are located near the bottom just on the inside of the trim. Remove both screws and the trim will pull out at the bottom and then straight down. That will expose 2 screws going into the control panel from the right and left side. Remove these screws and the control panel will pull off.

Once you remove the control panel, remove the screws going into the vent below the control panel and pull the vent off. Now open the oven door and remove the screws going into the vent below the microwave and remove the vent. There are 2 screws going into the feet of the microwave. Remove these 2 screws and then grab the bottom of the microwave and pull it out about 10 inches or so. Then you can access the switches from above the microwave behind the front panel.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.