Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool self cleaning oven is locked with door open.

Customer Question
My whirlpool self cleaning...

My whirlpool self cleaning oven is locked with door open. How can I open it so I can close the door ?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The oven is about 36 years old but has never been self cleaned and hardly ever used. Model RGE 1600P (electric)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would like to do so.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not really

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

This should actually be a fairly easy issue to fix. When the door gets locked open, you just need to trick the door into thinking that it's shut. So open the door and locate the door/light switch around the frame of the oven. Push the door switch in and hold it so that the oven thinks the door is shut. Now just start a self clean cycle and wait 60 seconds. Then cancel the self clean cycle and the door lock should open. At that point you can let go of the light switch and the oven should work normally.

If that doesn't work, tape the door switch so it's pushed in and the oven thinks the door is shut. Then unplug the oven or turn power off at the breaker for 60 seconds and re-apply power and that will reset the latch if the latch hasn't failed.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?