Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool refrigeratoe Conquest light on icemaker blinks…

Customer Question
Whirlpool refrigeratoe Conquest...

Whirlpool refrigeratoe Conquest light on icemaker blinks twice Now control panel shows not cooling

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Moddel GD5RVAXVY01 prob 6 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible also wondering if there is a reset code on the control panel

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 4 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

What do you mean by control panel shows not cooling exactly? Does it say "cooling off"?

Said cooling off. But now is cooling. Icemaker still does not work

ok, If you open the door first, look at the red light to the right, is it flashing 2 times and then pausing over and over? If you shut the flap on the left side and make a clear path from right to left, does the light turn solid?

OK, now look inside the icemaker itself, is there any ice or water in the icemaker mold? There are white fingers that push the ice out of the icemaker mold, what direction are they facing? Are they above the horizon or below? Pointing forward or backwards?

Light turns solid. Fingers pointed foreward 45 degrees

OK perfect. So it's ready to make ice. It won't make ice until the icemaker gets below 0ºF, and just like putting a piece of meat inside the freezer, it takes some time to freeze. If it hasn't made ice in 24 hours, then you have a problem. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc