Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

The grill knob on my viking stove broke off and I was

The grill knob on...

The grill knob on my viking stove broke off and I was looking to replace the little box behind the knob. Do you know where I could get one?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Viking is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It says Viking Commercial and we're guessing it was made in 1993.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. It looks like it's just got two electrical attachments and a grounding wire.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The box has printing on it that says KK 848 5A 120 VAC MT 599 degrees Fahrenheit

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/16/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The box behind the knob is actually the thermostat valve for your grill. Now you'll need the full model number for your oven to see if this part is still made, but you can contact AllVikingParts.com by phone and they can see if the part is still made once you get the full model number.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Do you know where I can find the full model number?

That really depends on the model oven you have. If you have open cooktop burners, usually you remove the left burner drip trays and ceramic top to see a sticker under the cooktop on the left side wall with the model. Otherwise, you may need to remove the kick panel below the door to see the sticker or it's on a sticker around the frame of the oven cavity and seen if you open the oven door.

Thanks. I'll try those things.
I got the model number and serial number. Once I get the thermostat, is there anything tricky or dangerous about replacing it?

Is your grill gas or electric?

Gas

So the gas would be connected to it directly which means that you'd have to turn the gas off to the oven when swapping the part out. Also turn electricity off or unplug the unit. The entire front face of the control panel will need to be removed as well to access and replace that box you're trying to replace.

I’ve got the front panel off and now I’m thinking the griddle may be electric.

Well, now you said griddle, not grill. So what is it? A grill or a griddle? If it's a griddle it MUST be gas. Viking doesn't make electric griddles.

It’s the griddle. Sorry I misled u.

that's ok, but if that's the case then it's definitely gas.

Good to know. So I should call AllVikingParts on Monday and get a part sent?

yes, if the part is still made. Those valves go obsolete often times so hopefully it's still made since it's 25 years old now.

Awesome. Thanks for your help.
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc