Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How do I ask Chas a question? Or what is your job as

Customer Question
How do I ask...

How do I ask Chas a question? Or what is your job as assistant?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Probably a week

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes Actually I called a technician, but he was a no-show

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Hmmm, I haven't told you anything yet???

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 8 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Chas does not work on the site anymore, what can I help you with?

Hi there, I have a Maytag Neptune stacked washer/dryer combo model MHW2000AWW. It has been working fine for about a year since we've had it but the washer stopped working properly this past week. It does not execute the high-speed spin at the end of a regular wash cycle and leaves the clothes soaking wet. It agitates just fine. Note that, prior to this problem, it has been getting somewhat noisier during the high-speed spin, and I understand that is probably a bearing getting old, but the sound is not unbearable. (I had a previous side-by-side model where the bearing DID go out and the sound WAS unbearable.) I opened the back of the machine and can spin the tub by hand easily. If I set the timer to "spin" and press start, it first spits out a solid column of water for maybe 1.5 seconds through the discharge hose, then just agitates and bunch of times then stops. It beeps six times at the end of the cycle. Never spins fast. At the end of that spurt of water, I can hear the pump running, but no more water comes out, maybe a trickle. When I spin the tub by hand, I can hear water in it. But it's always been that way. I pulled the black accordion hose leading into the pump and some water came out but not much. I don't see anything plugging it up at least at that junction.
Update: I saw someone else ask a similar question, and the technician asked about this: I do believe the door lock light still comes on eventually. I never have understood why there's a delay before it comes on, or why it comes on when it does, but it does come on.

On that unit when that happens you will need a new MOTOR CONTROL BOARD kit, the controller can not sense the tach on the motor rught and causes it not to spin at the high speed. The issue is you have a failing tub bearing and you have a bad motor control kit causing the spin speed issue. The costs to fix these things is more than a new unit. I would not invest any money into these issues and start shopping for a new one. I am sorry for the bad news.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

I understand about the bearing, but I need to know if the two issues are linked. Also what is your confidence level in your diagnosis of the control board is causing the spinning problem, like 1-100? Is there any chance that the cause is something else such as a pressure sensor for instance? If I can find a control board affordably are you certain that it will fix the issue? Those are all different ways of asking the same question. Thank you for your help

My skill level regarding this is 100 I have more experience on these units that anyone. Realistically though you have a bearing issue are you going to fix that?

I had another version of these same washer dryer side by side, and we had a LONG time between when the bearing started getting louder and when we actually had to replace the machine. I have also previously purchased control board, and I was able to find one pretty inexpensively that worked fine. Maybe not so lucky this time, but who knows. In that case, it was the wax motor. Are you saying this is the wax motor issue as well?

There are other things that can be checked on it, but often I find that given the issues you have I will spend a ton of time troubleshooting for a junk unit then never get paid for my time, that is why I am asking what your plans are given the bad bearing?