Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Profile oven door locked and I cannot unlock it. It is…

Customer Question
My GE Profile oven...

My GE Profile oven door locked and I cannot unlock it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is 2 years old. Since I can't open the door, I cannot get the model number

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If only I could. I have tried everything I can think to try

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

My brother tried to self clean the oven and that is where the problem started

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

If the oven door is locked and will not open and the oven is cold try the following things to get the door to open. Note the oven needs to be cold or the thermostat will not open it after a self clean cycle right away.

First try to start a new self clean for about 30 secs and cancel it, often that will trigger the door latch to restart and reopen. If that does not open the door you can cut power to the unit for a full minute and power it back up and see if the door will open. If that does not work on some units you can remove the back and the latch motor is there with a lock rod going to a small hook iby the door. Those style units you can remove the rod and move it manually to open the door. If you do not have that style unit you need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. Most latch hooks you will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it...90% are like that, the others are the opposite way depending on make and model. Once you get it opne you may need to replace the latch on the unit as the motor for the latch or switch on the latch may have failed.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

No luck. The unit it a slide in and I cannot move it. I cannot get a coat hanger to sled in between the door and the oven.

You have to get something thin a coat hanger is too thick

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

I still don't have it opened. I do not know what tool you expect me to have that is thin enough and strong enough to do what you describe. Nothing I own works, so you have wasted my money and now if