Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our Whirlpool Dryer WED 8500 DC 1 worked fine in Pierre, SD,

Customer Question
Our Whirlpool Dryer WED...

Our Whirlpool Dryer WED 8500 DC 1 worked fine in Pierre, SD, when we combined bath towels with men's underwear. Everything come out dry, unwrinkled and fluffy. Since moving to Watertown, SD, the dryer has not worked the same. The bath towel / underwear combination isn't dry when dryer says it is supposed to be dry. After manually restarting the dryer, the load eventually gets dry but is wrinkled. Could something have been damaged in the move? Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

We bought it in 2015, but it could have been a 2014 model. The number is ***** 8500 DC1.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/16/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. This is indicative of a moisture sensor issue or a vent obstruction. So, let's do two things....

1. Make sure the air flow at the outside of the home is clear and is venting out with good force.
  2. Inside the dryer are two metal strips that sense the moisture in the clothes. The clothing passes over the strips and create an electrical path with the moisture in them. The metal strips sense the resistance in that electrical path and send that resistance reading to the control. The control then reads the resistance reading, interprets the resistance and from that reading determines how long the dryer needs to run. The less moisture in the clothing, the higher the resistance. The problem is that over time, detergent and softener residue builds up on the metal sensor strips and creates an insulating barrier between the strips and the clothing. Since the strips cannot sense the moisture in the clothing because of this barrier, it sends a high resistance reading to the control. The control then interprets that to mean that the clothes are dry and shuts off prematurely. You will need to clean those strips with a Scotch Brite pad, steel wool, sand paper or other abrasive to remove that barrier.

Let me know what you find.

Cancel my subscrption if there is one i did not read your answer

You did not sign up for a subscription. Of course you read my answer. I am guessing you were wanting free help on a Friday evening?