Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Can we shut off just the freezer and have the refrigerator…

Customer Question
Can we shut off...

Can we shut off just the freezer and have the refrigerator only running on our GE Gshf6kgzbccc model

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Bought 4/15/2011 is that model number I typed up above ok?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Wanted to shut it off - cleared everything out to see if it reboots happy

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just really icy and COLD in there!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping your refrigerator. Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

So I understand that you don't want to use the freezer at all and only want to use the refrigerator?

For now - we want to get all the frost out of there. Turn it back on & see if it’s happy. Can we turn off just the freezer - yes or no???

The answer is no, you cannot turn just the freezer off and still have the refrigerator running. On this model, all of the cold air in the refrigerator comes from the freezer. There is an air port at the top left of the refrigerator that sends cold air from the freezer in to the refrigerator. If the freezer is off, there is no cold air coming into the refrigerator to cool it down. If you want to melt the frost in the freezer by shutting it off, the refrigerator will also get warm.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

Is there anything else I can answer or did you have any other questions about defrosting?