Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Cooked pizza earlier & when we went to preheat oven for

Customer Question
Cooked pizza earlier &...

Cooked pizza earlier & when we went to preheat oven for cupcakes we hear gas click on, but it isn't lighting??

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's only 4 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Mod. Mgr8674as

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It just worked?? Not sure why it won't light now??

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Thx

No problem. This model has a very complex system with a DSI board (direct spark ignition board) which reads the gas valve coils and checks the resistance to make sure everything is good with the valve. This board also serves other functions like sends out the actual spark to light all the burners and cuts out the gas if it doesn’t detect the flame has ignited. If the system is working properly the bake and the broil will click three times when you turn the oven on. If you only hear one or two clicks, you have a bad DSI board or a bad gas valve. There are 2 solenoids on the gas valve so you need to check the resistance between the 2 terminals on each solenoid with a multimeter. You should get a reading of approximately 215 ohms. If you don’t get a reading within 10% of that number, you need to replace the valve because even though only one coil may be bad, the DSI board will stop all oven function as soon as it detects there is a problem with one of the coils.

Now if you turn the oven onto bake and you do it hear click 3 times like it's trying to light---the first thing you want to do is remove the floor inside the oven and locate the spark tip. You may need to heat up the tip and bend it just slightly (careful not to crack the ceramic) so that the tip sparks just above one of the gas holes and is about 1/8" away from the burner at the tip. Over time the heat from the burner can cause the tip to warp a little and not be aligned properly so that when the metal heats up, it's no longer touching one of the flames coming from the burner which will tell the gas valve to stop sending gas for safety reasons.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ironically......after trying several times and the oven not lighting, it just lit & is heating up!
Any idea why this may have happened??

I would guess it would have to do with the tip needing to be bend. It sounds like the heat over time has caused the igniter to not be aligned quite properly anymore.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?