Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have an automatic lighting oven and the last time I wanted…

Customer Question
I have an automatic...

I have an automatic lighting oven and the last time I wanted to use it absolutely nothing happened. I believe the lighter must be broken, or what do you believe

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I looked up on the internet to find out where the model number I. They instructed me to lift up the plate that holds the burner. Perhaps a stick of dynamite might loosen that plate, but trying to loosen it by lifting it with a flat screwdriver doesn't work. So..........I don't know the model number

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

That's pretty questionable, but I would try if someone could give me instructions

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Well, the maytag range is a rather simple one--not one with 17 different things on it - if that helps it is about 20 years old,,, maybe 10

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/14/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

So you're exactly right, it sounds like your igniter is just failing. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement. Below is a link to the igniter and thankfully they are pretty universal so a model number really isn't needed -- it costs about $40.

CLICK HERE for igniter

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?