Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My may tag fridge doesn't make ice any more. There is a

Customer Question
My may tag fridge...

My may tag fridge doesn't make ice any more. There is a build up of ice under the bottom freezer floor.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

The fridge is a two door, bottom freezer. It is about 4.5 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If I can.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No just miss using the ice maker.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Do you have a full model number so I can better assist you? It should be located on a sticker near the ceiling of the refrigerator section and seen if you just open the refrigerator door.

Mod MF12269VEM7 set K21012128

OK so first, these are 2 completely un-related issues since the icemaker is in the refrigerator section on this model.

The plastic line could be clogged.

FOR THE ICEMAKER:

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees.

Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water (you'll probably need to use a turkey baster to fill up the icemaker since it's a tight area) and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice.

If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, either your fill tube above the icemaker is frozen, or the water valve has failed. The water valve is located behind a vent panel inside the back of your refrigerator section. Below is a video on how to access and replace the valve so you can see how to access the valve.

CLICK HERE for valve video

There are 3 hoses going into this valve. Disconnect the left top hose coming from the white plastic connector. That is the hose that goes up to the icemaker. Blow through the water line and see if it's clear. If it's not clear, you need to remove the ice bucket and point a hair dryer above the icemaker toward the back to thaw out the fill tube until you can blow through it (keep the hair dryer moving so nothing melts). If the water line is clear on the other hand, replace the water valve.

FOR THE ICE BUILD UP UNDER THE FREEZER DRAWER:

Unfortunately this is not an easy issue to fix on these bottom freezer top refrigerators. You will want to unplug the unit for 24 hours to allow all the ice to thaw out. Once the ice is thawed out, the best way to clean the drain line is from the bottom up because going at it from the inside is really difficult. If you pull the refrigerator forward and remove the bottom access panel and locate the rubber hose which comes down directly from the middle or so of the freezer floor toward the back and use something like a turkey baster to shoot hot water up the hose. Once it's clear and you can blow air through the hose, you're good to go again. Also, if you have the ability to just unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours that'll thaw all the ice out and them you can just blow air up and clear the drain out.

Now this drain hose has been re-designed because the material on the hose would break down and the check valve inside won't allow water to flow out so below is a link to the new re-designed hose you'll want to order and replace with instructions.

CLICK HERE for drain hose

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?