Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Maytag washer model LAT9606AGE. It has started to…

Customer Question
I have a Maytag...

I have a Maytag washer model LAT9606AGE. It has started to trip the earth leakage power switch, causing loss of all power to that circuit. Also there is an intermittent problem where the end of spin brake does not slow the spin action.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Maybe 15+ years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing I can think of

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

This appliance should not be on a GFCI outlet , as per the manufactures recommendations it should be on it`s own slow blow circuit.

I'm in Australia. The appliance has always been on a circuit which covers the laundry and garage, with an earth leakage circuit breaker on the circuit.

If the brake is weak or under heavy loads it does not stop the inner tub , the brake assembly will need to be replaced , that repair requires special tools .

And the brake assembly is approx $70.00 do you feel this is something you can do ?

No. I'd arrange for a technician. But with that and the electrical issue, maybe a new washer is the answer.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello I am a different tech do you still need help?

No

OK no problem have a good day!