Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our 2010 Viking VCFF 136 refrigerator is making a loud

Customer Question
humming noise. It seems...
Our 2010 Viking VCFF 136 refrigerator is making a loud humming noise. It seems to be coming from the freezer. When you open the freezer drawer, the noise stops. Also, several months ago, our ice maker stopped working. First it kept making ice even when the bar was raised. Then it completely stopped making ice (even with the bar lowered.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The loud humming noise is your evaporator fan motor running. Either your fan motor is failing and needs to be replaced, or possibly there is ice build up hitting the fan blade. You'll want to uninstall everything in the freezer and remove the back wall inside the freezer. Then you can see the fan motor and if it's hitting frost/ice, use a hair dryer to thaw it out. If there is no ice build up, then replace the fan motor.

As for the icemaker, it sounds like the icemaker likely just went bad if it wouldn't stop making ice before, and now it just won't make ice at all. You can try to thaw the icemaker out with a hair dryer and make sure the arm is down. If that all checks good, you just need to replace the icemaker.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

When you take off the back wall of the freezer to check the evaporator fan, does the refrigerator need to be unplugged?

Yes, you will need to unplug the refrigerator or flip the breaker off if that is easier.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?