Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a Haier HLP24E portable washer. The washer will wash…

Customer Question
Hello, we have a...

Hello, we have a Haier HLP24E portable washer. The washer will wash and drain fine, but will not spin.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Haier HLP24E, about 18 months

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 8 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

do you happen to hear the motor humming to make the unit spin?

it hums. It will start a normal wash, and will agitate just fine, then the water drains out. As soon as it tries to start to spin, it hums for about 7 seconds, then stops and the estimated time remaining goes up up by 1 minute where it sits and stays. I also encountered an error code of "UL".If I enter it into just a spin cycle, it will hum for 7 seconds and then stop.

wel​l the ul error means unbalanced load are you seeing that error everytime? Does the door on the unit lock when you start the cycle? There should be a click noise?

Hi Travis, there was nothing in the washer when I got this message. I was just running a test wash when we got that message. Yes, it makes a clicking sound.
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 7 months ago
Is the door locking though? Or is it just clicking over and over
I actually just tried a quick wash cycle and don’t hear it clicking at all. It starts to fill with water and agitates just fine but no click. When should I hear a clicking sound? Should I not be able to open the door in the middle of a cycle?

no you should not be able to open it during a cycle at all. In the event that this is happening your door lock is the issue you are having and it needing to be replaced.

Okay so how do I replace it?

ok so I just did an extensive research into your unit and this one actually does not have a lid lock so the fact its not spinning would only come from the drive motor itself being faulty.

Okay thank you. Two questions: why does the agitator work fine if it needs a new motor? Is that a different component than what controls the spinning?Also, that link is to the part, do you know how I actually replace it?

basically the motor is not going into full speed to spin it. You can test the motor with a multimeter if you have it? Do you happen to have one?

No I don’t. Can you supply instructions to replace the motor?

your going to access it from the back by removing the back plate. Then you will just unhook the wire harness and wires off the old motor and plug them in the same way to the new one.

I replaced the motor, there was no change. it still hums and you can see the motor trying to engage but then nothing happens.