Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Just trying to get some idea of whats wrong with my washer.

Customer Question
Just trying to get...

Just trying to get some idea of whats wrong with my washer

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Maytag MVWC360AW0

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I would guess 3-4 years i was hoping to do it myself yeah

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Besides the actual problem i think thats all the details there are

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

I don't see where you ever mentioned what the actual problem is with your washer---can you please explain?

she never asked me for that information.
Basically after the end of a wash cycle the clothes are still extremely wet. You can do a drain and spin and they are still wet. During the time that it is supposed to be spinning it makes sounds but I can't tell for sure if it is actually spinning.

Ok got it. Typically this means your washer isn't shifting from agitation to spin properly. There is a part below the tub called an "actuator" and its probably the most common part to fail on this model washer. The actuator monitors the spin speed and actually shifts the gear box into spin or agitation mode. Either way, the part is about $50 and is part number WPW10006355. Below is a link to the part and a video on how to replace it if you wanted to replace it yourself.

CLICK HERE for part

CLICK HERE for video

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

OK, I will proceed with that. I had one more follow up question for you. While I was underneath it looking around I noticed a bunch of black crap settled into the bottom of the unit there. Is that normal? I have attached an image.

That is normal. You can use a product called Washer Magic and run it through a cycle and that should clean out the tub. Or you can take the washer apart, remove the inner basket, and scrub it out by hand if you wanted.

I bought the part that you recommended and installed it and there was no change. So what do you suggest I do now and what do you suggest I do with the new part that I bought for no reason?

You would have to take it apart and clean it by hand

I am not talking about the black stuff in the bottom of the thing I am talking about the initial problem that I started this whole thing over, the clothes are still wet after a wash and still wet after a drain and spin after I bought that part you told me to buy and installed it. That is what I am talking about. Do you understand now?

I'm sorry I don't believe I'll be able to assist you here, so I'll opt out, but that will open this question to all other Experts, and someone will be along shortly to assist you

Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, And I own my own Appliance repair Company

I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Do you feel that you can say that the washer is even draining all of the standing water out of the washer before it even goes into a spin mode?

I mean, while its draining/spinning i definitely hear water coming out of the drain tube and by the end of it I'm not seeing standing water in the tub its just that the clothes are still completely soaked. I am not sure if maybe the problem is that it isnt going into that final hard spin cycle to pull the water out? Not sure how to verify if that is the case or not.

Ok that was going to be my next question!

When it should be spinning it looks like you hear the washer running (making noise) but also during a spin mode the drain pump should be running ,,I suspect that is what your hearing.

If you select a drain and spin mode can you tilt the washer up a bit and look under it to see if the motor /belt is in fact turning or not?

I can certainly do that. I will report back with my findings after I get a moment to do it.

No problem!

Sorry for the delay !

I`m a Volunteer Fireman and has a call I had to go on that ended up lasting almost all day .

No problem, I had been busy yesterday so didn't get a chance to do it until this morning. So that belt drive on the underside never moves. Those sounds that I had assumed from before were from spinning are actually from the pump I think. To confirm this I placed a towel in there in a particular way and set it to spin for a few minutes and the towel was in the exact same place. Let me know your thoughts or anything else you would like me to try out or look at. Thanks.

Ok during any spin mode the drain pump will be running.

And if the drive motor is not running during a spin mode BUT it does in an agitation model the motor is not the issue it is the electronic control board ,not giving voltage to the motor during a spin mode.

I recommend to replaced the electronic control board itself.

If you need the part info just let em know!

What would a simple way to tell if the motor was running in agitation mode? Just run a regular cycle and look under there? I am kind of anxious because the last guy immediately recommended me a part which I purchased and it didn't do anything. Not saying that is the case here too just explaining my apprehension.

Oh no problem I understand!

Yes that would be the best way to verify that the motor is in fact running during an agitation mode. look up under it as it is running after it has filled with water.

Alright well I'm glad I did that, so during the "wash" phase the machine is completely silent and just sits there. My wife had mentioned it wasnt working right before and I just got involved last week so had never actually sat there through a wash cycle to see what happens.

ok so if the motor is not running at all, Then you may have a motor issue or an electronic control board issue.

Now the control board is over $215.00 the motor is $140.00 do you want to spend that kind of money on this unit . if so

just let me know!

definitely not. will just get a new one. Thanks for your assistance in narrowing this down.

No problem ,Always glad to assist you anytime.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me 5 STARS is the ONLY way I get paid for my time. I do not get compensated until you rate me.

Need some clarification on some things

OK !

I can answer any question you have on the appliance!