Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My GE Profile side by side refrigerator/freezer has a

Customer Question
My GE Profile side...

My GE Profile side by side refrigerator/freezer has a problem making thoroughly solid ice cubes. They come out partially formed with a thin veneer of ice covering the top portion of the cubes.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

About 17 years old. I could probably get the model number, but it would take a few minutes. Shall I get it?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

It depends how complicated it is.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

That issue is due to a lack of water in the unit, you have a fill issue ot the icemaker. Either the fill valve is not working right or you may have a water issue to the unit itself. Check the water supply to the refrigerator. if that is good I would replace the fill valve first. If for some reason that does not solve the problem you would have to replace the ice maker.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Where exactly is the fill valve, and how do I check for adequate water supply?

What is the model of the refrigerator? Also testing this will be complicated involving jumpering terminals out and so forth did you want to do that.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician