Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Jenn-Air French door refrigerator makes a loud humming…

Customer Question
Hello, My Jenn-Air French...

Hello, My Jenn-Air French door refrigerator makes a loud humming noise that stops when you open the door. It is also leaking water that is turning to ice around the ice maker in the freezer. Model is a jfc2089hes

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

Jfc2089hes. 10 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on how difficult it is.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Is it coming from the fan in the freezer section that may be bad or hitting the housing?

Its been doing it all night but of course it stopped now so I cant tell. Can I come back to this when the buzzing starts again?

Yes for sure let me know lets narrow this thing down!

The noise started again this morning. I cant tell exactly but if I had to say one way or the other, it sounds like its coming from the lower part (freezer). Definitely from the back of the unit. I did notice that just barely touching the refrigerator would make the buzzing stop momentarily and by opening the refrigerator door it stops completely.
There has also been water build up on the lower left side of the freezer below where the water inlet for the ice maker is. The ice breaks when we open the freezer drawer.

Yes you likely have ice build up by the fan and the fan blade may be hitting it causing the noise. I would remove the item from the freezer and then remove the ice maker in the back panel to see what is hitting the fan blade. If you cannot do that you may want to just remove the items from the freezer and refrigerator and defrost the unit completely and then try it again. The water from the ice maker fill tube may be causing some issue leaking behind it or there may be another issue altogether what is causing the icing liek a bad door gasket or defrosting issue.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!