Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE spectra and the oven will not heat up. It’s prob…

I have a GE...

I have a GE spectra and the oven will not heat up

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It’s prob 10 years old. Model XL 44

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Gas is working fine. I switched out a component about 4 years ago after same thing happened.

12/12/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Since your cooktop still works, it sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Thank you! Can I ask about another appliance problem I’m having?

Sure, but you need to rate this question to close it and start a new question for another appliance. I can't answer another question about a different appliance on this same question.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
How do I start a new question on another appliance?

Just go to Justanswer.com and you can start a new question.