Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My freezer has started making noise and I am building up…

Customer Question
My freezer has started...

My freezer has started making noise and I am building up frost on the inside of the freezer I’d like to try putting it in a manual defrost cycle but cannot find it yet

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

It is a whirlpool model WRF736SDAM10

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It does not make noise all the time I believe what’s happening is it’s making noise during its defrost cycle which is roughly every three hours or four I’m not sure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/12/2017
Appliance Technician: Anytime John, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Anytime John
Anytime John, Home Appliance Technician
Is the ice build-up only on the rear panel of the freezer, or is it throughout the entire compartment and on the freezer door?
There is ice on the back panel and a little bit of frost on one of the inner compartments where you store food I can take a flashlight and see back in there and the fins have ice build-up my thought is to put it into manual defrost to get rid of the ice plug it back in and hopefully this will solve the problem if not then I will be taking the refrigerator apart and testing the equipment to see that the thermistor and other equipment at work properly
First of all, with that much ice built up, forcing a defrost cycle will not get rid of it all. Your best bet to get rid of the ice is to unplug the unit and let it sit with the freezer door open and a fan blowing into it (NO HEATER). Secondly, if the ice is the result of a problem in the automatic defrost system, melting it is will not fix the problem. We must find the failed component(s) and fix the problem, or the ice will just build up again.If the ice is present elsewhere in the compartment, the defrost system is not the issue. Could the noise you're hearing be the sound of a fan blade hitting ice?
This particular model has known issues with warm ambient air leaking into the freezer, which causes frost to build up. Any chance you could upload a picture of what we're dealing with?