Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I self-cleaned my oven two days ago. It is cold and yet the…

Customer Question
I self-cleaned my oven...

I self-cleaned my oven two days ago. It is cold and yet the "LOCK" symble is still on. Now I can't open the door..

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It is a JTP 16 or 17 or 18 and it is was installed 1995 however I don't use it much.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Are you saying it needs repair? Or is it an operator problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Just how to open the door.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
I am trying to reset by turning off the circuit breaker for five minutes.
12/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Ok so it sounds like your door latch may have failed. I know you tried to turn the power off before, but try turning the breaker off to the unit for 60 seconds to see if it will reset. When you turn the circuit breaker on go inside and push on the door and hold it for a minute or two in case it's rubbing on the door latch not letting it release. If that doesn't work, then try to set the self clean, wait 60 seconds and cancel it to see if that will reset the door latch assembly. If nothing resets the door lock, then you just need to manually open the door and replace the door latch assembly. It's not easy to manually unlock the door. You'll need to use a coat hanger and pull the latch assembly from RIGHT to LEFT by slipping it down between the door and the oven frame at the top. Force the latch over to the left and open the door, then you can remove the panel in front of the door latch and replace the latch assembly.

Now I do want to also add that you may need something stronger than a coat hanger to manually open the door. If you have an "L-shaped" tool like a cotter pin puller or allen wrench, that might give you the added strength to be able to pull on the latch and release it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

None of this has worked so I am signing off.

OK sorry about the bad news but if you can't manually unlock it with the instructions I gave you--you may just need to call a technician to do it for you. This is one of those things that experience makes a huge difference

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?