Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

How can I keep the icemaker from clogging up on the side…

Customer Question
How can I keep the...
How can I keep the icemaker from clogging up on the side with caked ice
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Hello, I want to cover a few things before we begin. First there is a delay in responses this is not Skype or texting so please only reply after you receive a reply from me. Please do not reply multiple times with”hello?? where are you?? what's going on etc..... that will only delay a response even further as this has to travel through the server and site to get to me and there is more than one question going on so please be patient if you can not do that just let me know. Secondly this is not a free service, I work on the site and can not work for free just like you likely do not work for free so please keep that in mind and use the rating system when done to credit my time. Third, the site will send you offers for phone calls subscriptions etc... That is not me sending you the information even though it may appear that way. You can accept that if you want to, but please do not get mad at me for any offer sent to you by the site. Lastly I need the make and model of the appliance, check the frame edges with the door,lid,drawer open on the unit. The models typically start with 3-4 letters unless it is a Kenmore product. Please post that if you have not and lets begin.

General Electric side-by-side Profile refrigerator freezer #PSS28KSHBCSS. My original question was problems installing the short shelves in the freezer door

OK so when you say it is caked ice on the side do you mean there is ice on the side walls in the freezer or where, if you have pics of it you can upload here that would help.

No pics. The ice is stuck to the wall of the ice container. I try to knock it loose, and that works a little But there is no "defrost" that I know of to loosen the ice from the wall.

Is the water spraying out every time the unit fill with water causing the issue?

I do not see the unit filling with water so I cannot answer your question.
Please do not send any.more messages until Friday afternoon. I will.not be home until then.
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Please let me know when you are available.

I am now at homr.

Thank you!

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information? The tag is in the refrigerator, high on a side wall or on the ceiling.

I wrote that information shown in this string of information. Please look above in this email.

Sorry, I see it now. Are you finding just the ice on the sides of the ice bucket or are the cubes forming a block on the bottom of the ice bucket?

Not on the bottom, just on the sides. The ice may get caked when the bucket is full while we are out of town and not emptying the ice. But when we do start using it again, the ice cubes come out but the ice on the sides remain stuck and make the size of the bucket smaller.

Thank you. Are the cubes normal size, not small or hollow?

The cubes are crescent shaped and are not small or hollow.

Do you use little ice or is there a fair amount of time in between uses?

The icemaker has never produced much ice. It takes a long time to fill up the bucket. But we don't use a lot of ice, and there is a fair amount of time - mostly in the evenings for supper - that the ice is needed. My concern is that the ice on the sides of the bucket make the availability of space smaller.

What temperature do you keep the freezer at?

Do you have an external thermometer you can set in the freezer to measure the temperature with after an hour with the door closed, placing it up near the ice maker?

I don't see a setting for temperature. We have been out of town since Monday, and I see that the ice bucket is full right now. I have heat thermometers in the kitchen but not for ice.

If I can get an accurate temperature of the freezer near the ice maker we can figure out what is happening with the ice maker.

I will have to get an appropriate thermometer to be able to respond to your request.

Thank you.

John, Home Appliance Technician