Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE model # WTW8240YW0 top loading washer. I have…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE model # WTW8240YW0 top loading washer. I have checked back connections (No Leaks) but replaced washers. Pumps OK, bottom seal ok. Leak is coming from liquid detergent dispenser, looks like it is splashing out? Found water on side of tub after doing a small load. Past technician cut a small v on the bottom of the dispenser, this has been a problem since we purchased unit. Its way past warranty now. How can I fix this problem?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

5 or 6 years?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have checked the level of the machine and it is ok, Have been running the machine to look for water and that is how I found the leak up front..

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/11/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

This is a known problem and one a service bulletin was published for. It will require a kit that has been designed for that problem. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare.

Concern: Customer may see dispenser overflow or small amount of water on the floor. Dispenser overflows may also cause left hinge to rust or not to function properly.

Cause: Possible high rate of water flow into the dispenser may increase chance of overflow.

Correction: Remove old dispenser assembly and replace with new dispenser with additional drain port.

The link below is to the part you will need! It comes with installation instructions!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

This is for the Bleach dispenser, already done. This leak is coming from the Front of the machine and running down the side of the tub. Last tech tried cutting a v and it did not work.

In the left front corner?

The liquid soap dispenser area.

Does your dispenser have the large cut out like the one shown below?

CLICK HERE

Hmm, does the fill pressure seem to be quite high, causing the splashing? The valve has flow washers that limit the water flow so it does not do that. Has the valve been replaced?

no
Pressure may be high ( How would I know? ) and no the valve has not been replaced

Unless you want to turn the water supply valves down a bit, that will be the next step. You could temporarily turn the valves closed a bit and see if the problem goes away.

Where can I get a flow washer?

They are built into the valves, they are not replaceable by themselves.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

By the way, my water pressure to my house is low.

What happens if you turn the valves closed a bit?

I'll try and let you know.

Sounds good, thank you!

Ran on quick cycle, water on the floor, same place (I turned them down a lot, a least 1/2 way ). Ran again with the lid open so I could see water filling tub. Did not look like it was splashing out but found water on floor. No water around the liquid dispenser. Found water on the side of the tub again. No sign of water leaking around the small black fill hoses. Unplugged and poured 4 big pitchers of water into dispenser, small amount of water on floor.
Did you see my last response?

That is pretty odd. I will see if another may have an idea of what may be happening.

Great
Thanks
I have not heard from the new appliance technician.
Appliance Technician: Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Tom Goellner, Home Appliance Technician

Can you check that model number again. I do not show a GE model starting out WTW.

Checked again and yes it is WTW8240YW0 purchased in 2012.

O​K that is a Whirlpool, not a GE. I'll opt out . Everything the previous tech stated is also what I would recommend.