Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have a ge monogram gas oven and the burner on the stove…

Customer Question
We have a ge...

We have a ge monogram gas oven and the burner on the stove won't turn off

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Its got to be about 18 years at least its GE monogram is what it says 4 burner and the knob is just spinning around

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Well i don't think i can go to bed or leave it burning for hours

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/10/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Hello, if the burner ignitors are clicking when you power it on that means that one of the burner switches is stuck in the closed position. On each burner shaft under the knobs there is a rotary switch that when you turn the burner knob the switch gets turned and closes sending 120 volts to the spark module. When the module is activated ALL BURNERS spark so that is normal by design. Now what happens over time grease and food get under the knobs and into the switches causing one to stay closed as if you have that burner turned to the on position. Then when you plug it in everything starts clicking. You would have to take the cooktop apart to get to those switches. On that unit it is a job to do as you have to separate the top from the base to get at them and change out the bad one. You may want a tech to come out and do it depending on you skill level, but it is totally worth fixing. The switches range from $40-100 depending on if your model is sold as a set or individually.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

my problem is not that is stuck in off - its on - one burner is on high and the flame is high - the problem is I can't get it off and I can't leave it burning all night

OK if the burner will not shut off the valve is bad you will have to turn the gas off to the unit until you can get the burner valve replaced. Pull the unit out to shut the gas valve off to the unit behind it.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!