Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have an Electrolux refrigerator, Model no. FRT18HB5JW4.

Customer Question
We have an Electrolux...

We have an Electrolux refrigerator, Model no. FRT18HB5JW4. It's about 8 years old. It is starting to have black oily goo show up underneath at the left hand corner. Please tell me this is something simple, and not that the fridge is dying! We have checked the pan underneath--it has no liquid in it.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Electrolux is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

I just gave you the model no. FRT18HB35JW4. I think it's about 8-10 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

We will if it's easy to fix. Otherwise we need to know if it's worth calling a repairman!

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The goo showed up a few months ago, we cleaned that up, and didn't have any more incidents until yesterday, when it showed up again--a big puddle on the left side of the bottom

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 4 days by:
12/13/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 8 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?

Well, since I paid $5 for it, I would still like an opinion! We have resigned ourselves to the probability that we'll need a new fridge, but this one is running OK, it's not running for excessive amounts of time, and the black goo isn't coming out anymore. It will show up again, I'm sure, and it would be nice to know what it is! We checked the pan underneath, and it's dry.

What you are seeing is likely "gunk" that is created as the spray in insulation breaks down, the condenser lines sweat and the metal reacts to the different chemicals in between the cabinet walls. Typically, this is seen at the area where the cabinet seems come together at the bottom edges and corners. It is not harmful or causing any issues other than being unsightly. If it gets worse, you can use silicone caulking to seal around the edges of the cabinet where it drips.

Thank you very much! That puts us at ease..

You are very welcome, thank you!

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!