Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My ge potscrubber dishwasher 640 all of a sudden isn't

Customer Question
My ge potscrubber dishwasher...

My ge potscrubber dishwasher 640 all of a sudden isn't getting water

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Gsd640g-01

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not sure

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/8/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you're positive that the dishwasher is definitely getting water from your house then you either have an issue with your electronic water valve underneath the washer or your float switch is stuck in the up position. Open up your door and look in the front corner of your dishwasher there is a plastic circular float device. Wiggle this up and down and make sure it's in the down position. If it's stuck in the up position it will not fill. If it still doesn't work and you looked under the dishwasher and you don't see any wires unplugged then you will need to order and replace your electronic water valve.

Now if you have a multimeter, you can do one more test to confirm the valve is bad by testing for 120 volts across the 2 wires going to the electronic water valve. If you have 120 volts and it's not filling, then your valve is definitely bad.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

okay to be clear is this switch on the door or bottom of dishwasher tub? what does it look like
I already paid 36 and thought it said 5.00

I think your talking about the phone call? Sorry I don't send that option---the site sends that automatically but you can ignore that. As for the switch. One moment.

The float assembly is located in the front left corner under a white plastic float dome which looks like the part in the link below.

CLICK HERE for float dome

There is one screw toward the back that you unscrew and then the dome pulls up and off so you can see the float itself which goes up and down.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?