Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kitchen aid dishwasher will not drain

Customer Question
kitchen aid dishwasher will not drain
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/8/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 7 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

Do you have the model number off the tag on the frame edge of the unit?

KDTE204DSS0 is the model number. Bought it 07/12/2015. Most quiet dishwasher till about 6 months ago started making noise. Would wash dishes..... sometimes didn't seem to be as clean but noisy at certain times of the cycle. Last night we noticed water on the floor. Didn't know if it was from the fridge next door to the dishwasher or the dishwasher. Tonight go to unload the dishwasher and notice they wasn't clean even though we hit the "start" button. Tried again and it starts to wash... just thinking it doesn't drain. I'm thinking it needs a new drain pump but not sure. Also I'm sure it's out of warranty but not sure about that either.

OK do you hear the drain pump running when you cancel a cycle?

no, does nothing. I hit the cancel/drain button and nothing happens. The blue light on the door panel will go out.
Still is setting full of water.

OK then the drain pump is either jammed or bad. Can you remove the lower cover and test it with a volt meter?

When you say lower cover, what do you mean?

The bottom kick plate on the dishwasher?

ok. plz hold.

ok no problem

ok, removed bottom kick plate, white insulation pc which is wet on the bottom of it and have a volt meter.

OK get to the drain motor and unlock it from the pump and test between any of the three pins to the pump, what do you read in ohms. CLICK HERE UNLOCKING DRAIN PUMP

if i remove the drain pump is all the water going to come out of the dishwasher that is in there?

Yes it will for sure!

or you setting me up for a mess?

No I did not know there was still water in the unit currently and I figured you had to be smart enough to know taking the pump off you would have water of course.

seriously? In the first comment or 2nd I said the dishwasher "doesn't drain". I ask the question because maybe there is a check valve or something thinking it would be safe. Could you please provide the part number for the drain pump?
to your insult. I would be smart enough to ask before removing.

There was no insult implied or intended here I think you may be reading into the posts too much.

Maybe there wasn't. However, I am on justanswer.com because I am looking for answers and guidance. I am a pretty smart person, but just want to make sure before I do anything. Never ripped into a dishwasher before and since I paid 1k for it back then at lowe's don't want to screw it up. So details in the responses such as "doesn't drain" might be important.

Yes I am sorry I answer a lot of questions all day and do service work so sometimes I just assume certain things when dealing with customers that have taken stuff apart. There honestly was no bad intentions by me I was just actually complimenting you about how I figured you were smart enough to realize that...they just get read into wrong sometimes when texting like this...now do you have it drained and out?

No, it's 9:40 at night here. I have to get up early for work. When I get up I will test. Plz tell me exactly what to test for and where to test and I will do so in the morning. Also, plz give me test results if this happens etc. what could be wrong. If it is the pump I need to order one and have it here by saturday to my zip code 16666. So far, have not been able to see anyone if it is the pump who can get it to me that fast. Thanks for your help. I will try and drain in the morning before I go to work and test. just tell me where and what to test. Thanks.

When you get the pump out it will have a plug with 3 brown wires to it. Take the plug off and test across any two pins on the plug for about 80 ohms, if any two do not show that it is bad for sure. If you have that then plug it back in leaving it out. Shut the water off to the unit and start a cycle briefly about 5 secs and then Cancel it and see if that pump vibrates or hums. If it does then it is bad as well and you should replace it...see what you find.

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you, did you get it tested?