Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Kelvenator freezer. The compressor runs for 5 sec.

Customer Question
I have a Kelvenator...

I have a Kelvenator freezer. The compressor runs for 5 sec. when it is plugged in and then stops. The thermostat is good as is the defrost switch is good. Any ideas? Bad compressor or overload switch?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

Kfs220rhy1 Electrolux

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

We have replaced the start switch and capacitor. Still the same. Don't have the overload switch yet

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 2 days by:
12/10/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?

We ordered an overload switch but it hasn't arrived yet. We're worried that we have have a bad compressor and need to replace the freezer. Need advice!

The overload will simply not allow power through, so if it starts but then shuts off, it is either the relay or the compressor is locked up. If you already replaced the relay (start device), the compressor is locked up. Replacing the overload will not help the compressor to start.

I'm confused. The compressor starts and runs for approximately 5 sec before shutting down. How can it be frozen?
I'm confused. The compressor starts and runs for approximately 5 sec before shutting down. How can it be locked-up?

The run windings may be open if it is actually starting and not just trying to start. In any case, if the compressor initially starts, the overload is not faulty.