Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My gemini double oven doesn't always kick in when I set the…

My gemini double oven...

My gemini double oven doesn't always kick in when I set the temperature for baking. When it does, it can heat up immediately, other times it takes forever. Then, it doesn't hold the set temperature for extended periods.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a maytag gemini double oven. probably at least 14 years old

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Myabe

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

What do you mean by "doesn't kick in"? Is this a gas oven?

are you there?

OK got it--that's what I figured. This is common for gas ovens as they get older and it sounds like your bake igniter is just going out and needs to be replaced. Igniters generally last about 6-8 years normally and then they either stop working all together, or they just get weak and don't draw 3.2 amps even though they are glowing and then it could kick on and off and take forever to heat up. If an igniter doesn't pull 3.2 amps, the oven gas safety valve will not open up. Now the bake igniter is mounted to the bake burner below the floor inside the oven so you'd need to pull the floor out of the oven to access the igniter for replacement.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
will it need one for top and bottom oven?

If both ovens are acting up, yes. Otherwise just the oven that is acting up.