Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Whirlpool Model WED4900XW0 dryer that randomly

Customer Question
I have a Whirlpool...

I have a Whirlpool Model WED4900XW0 dryer that randomly starts on its own. I replaced the start switch because I have read that is usually the problem. That did not fix it. I can hear the timer at all times unless the door is open. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Is't about 6 years old I think.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Sure, I have already replaced the start switch but I would like some direction so I don't have to replace a lot of other parts. I have a meter but am not sure what to check next.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that is it unless you have any questions.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Typically the start button will cause an issue with starting when you close the door, but it can't start the dryer to run when the dryer is off on the timer dial because the timer is supposed to cut power to everything including the start button when it's off. That means you have a stuck contact on the timer which is why you hear the ticking noise even when when the dryer is turn off unless the door is open (cutting power to the timer). You need to replace the timer to fix this issue and that is part number WP8566184. Unfortunately the part is about $120.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Is there something I can test to verify this or are you sure this is the problem?
Hello?

yes I'm sure that is your problem, unfortunately since it starts sporadically, you can't test it---you just have to replace it.