Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My freezer is not working properly. the coils in the freezer…

My freezer is not...

My freezer is not working properly. the coils in the freezer are cold and have frost on the top half only. the bottom half do not get cold, the fridge area is working perfect. can you help, freezer does make ice cubes and ice cube maker is working. Ice cream in the freezer does not get hard, Seal on door is fine

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

It is a Frigidaire gallery side by side. it is about 12 years old. I was told it is a compressor problem and the compressor is only working about 80 - 90 percent. I find this hard to believe since the fridge part is working perfect and is very cold

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If ican. depends on the problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have vacuumed the back and it is free of any dirt so it is clean

Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you. Sorry you are having trouble with your Frigidaire refrigerator . Please give me a moment to review your question. Please note that it sometimes takes a while to type responses and answers.

I would like to just confirm that you removed the cover off of the evaporator coils in the freezer and observed that the top half of the coils appear frozen and the bottom half are not frozen?

that is correct. they do not have solid ice build up, just frost. the bottom half has no frost at all
no thanks lets do it by email

No problem.

The fact that you observed the coils makes this answer pretty straight-forward.

Based that information, your refrigerator is certainly low on refrigerant. Frigidaire refrigerators are notorious for this. Since your refrigerator is still cooling, it is likely a good candidate for a recharge. I'm sure you'd like to get it up and running soon!

This is an advance repair that requires special equipment, skill, and licensing. I would contact an appliance repair company that does sealed system work to come out and take a look at it. I normally charge $150 to do a refrigerant recharge. Thus, this cost may be what you would expect, depending on the company you hire.

- PLEASE rate my service before you leave today. Since we are on the honor system, Just Answer will only credit me for my time if you rate me positively. By giving me a rating of 4 or 5 stars at the TOP RIGHT of your screen I will provide free follow up questions for this appliance after this session. I am not always online, but answer questions as soon as I see them. Thank you.

I had someone look at it and he said it was the compressor and im assuming the refridgereant is in the compressor, is that correct. he also told me since the compressor was only working 80 -90 percent it should be replaced, Said it would cost about 900 dollars, I would get a new fridge if that is the case. what would you do in this case since fridge is about 12 years old.

Did he connect a tap valve and test the freon level?

no he did not

Then he did probably did not do sealed system work. It is common for people that do not do sealed system work to condemn compressors when it is low on freon. There is a greater than 90% chance it just needs refrigerant.

it sounds like I should get this done before deciding on purchasing a new fridege. I just don't want to spend the money if there is a less expensive fix

I agree! Besides, half-way frosting coils is a classic symptom of a system that is just low on refrigerant!

Thanks a million. I will give you an excellent rating. I am going to call someone else, Can you suggest what I should ask this new tech or share with him

Thanks. Just click the 5th star on the right of your screen! Yes, you will want to make sure that any technician that comes out does sealed system work - and to find that out before they come out - so you don't waste a service call charge.

Also make sure he knows about the temperature issues and the half frosting coils.

Ok thanks again.. You,ve been very helpful.

Anytime.

Engineer-Tech