Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a ge lw18jyvlw-1 refrigerator. I just moved it and…

Customer Question
I have a ge...

I have a ge lw18jyvlw-1 refrigerator. I just moved it and now the freezer does not work.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It's older. I bought it used.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's an easy fix.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That's it. Freezer is warm. Fridge area is cool.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/5/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

OK the unit is likely running low on freon, check and make sure the condenser is clean. If it is then remove the back panel inside the freezer section and check the evaporator coil. If only part of it is frosted and not the whole thing, the rest being bare aluminum then you have a freon leak. If that is the case the fix is too expensive for the unit and I would start looking for a new one. Note the refrigerator section often will maintain temps still because there is enough freon to get to 37 degreees, but not enough to get to 0 degrees. Check that out and see what you find and get back to me!

Please use the FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a *****5 STAR rating***** before leaving.....otherwise I receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also this does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Could the coils be outside, on the back of the fridge?

There are behind underneath behind the lower panel in back of the unit.

There is no back panel on the inside of my freezer. There are coils on the back of my unit. What else could it be if not a Freon leak?

Can you take a pic of the inside back panel in the freezer and upload it here?

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

The freezer froze the glass of water I put in there as a test. I am waiting to see if it continues working or if there's an intermittent issue. Definitely not the Freon.

Ok no problem make sure the fans are working.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....this is important for my status on the site plus without a rating I will receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

But you didn't assist me... the freezer started working on its own. You suggested maybe a Freon leak that couldn't be repaired. The issue may or may not be resolved. If the freezer stops working again we know we haven't determined the real issue and can continue trouble shooting. Will check back in about lunch.

Since I have not assisted you and it has been 3 days since hearing from you about this let me see if another expert can pick this up to help you. Take care and stand by for the next tech do not reply hear please it will only delay assistance.