Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a may tag front loader that is 2 years old It has…

Customer Question
I have a may...

I have a may tag front loader that is 2 years old It has been leaking suds out the back during the clean cycle for the entire time we have owed it. I am using about a tbsp of soap only at this point and it still leaks when i run the clean cycle. I have had 5 techs come out and they tell me it is what it is. Design flaw by may tag. It is ruining my floor in my laundry room. The suds dissipate when they flow out the back vent and turning water on my floor.

Contractor's Assistant: Have you tried power cycling the appliance -- unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?

What does that mean. just physically unplugging it...like a reboot? This happens every single time we run the clean cycle. regardless of soap amount or no afresh just water being used it sends suds out the back huge mess

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

There is no work to be done. i have had 5 techs out who have looked at it. they even replaced the vent kit once to try and fix it. just trying to figure out if other may tag owners have been reporting the same problem

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have tried also at one techs advice to run the machine in short 15 minute clean cycles, drain it, repeat until no residual soap. This takes hours and hours. It is crazy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
I only use tide HE detergent and never use more than 2 tablespoons...sometimes only 1. I have run the clean cycles numerous times over and over to rid the drum of suds, but they always return and make a huge mess when I run the clean cycle again every 2 weeks.
12/5/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Are you using a washer cleaner when you do the clean washer cycle?

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?

model MHW5100dw I do not run the clean cycle with an agent any more until i run the short burst 15 minutes and stop the cycle let it drain. I just did this and repeated it over and over until there is no soap in the drum. Took me 2 hrs. Then i tried to run it full clean cycle with an agent once the residual soap was out and it sent the agent soap suds out the back. I was using oxy clean as HE cleaner

ok Oxy clean is not a washer cleaner .

Oxy clean is a detergent additive.

AFFRESH is a washer cleaner

It is called OXI Clean washing machine cleaner with oder blasters for HE washing machines. It is a washing machine cleaner

ok that makes a difference but you just said oxy clean!!

Hello - are you still there Have you seen this complaint before? I have tried so many things and cannot get the soap to not come back. I don't think it is a repair issue. I think it is a lemon machine.
are you still there ? Have you seen this problem in maytags before?

Yes I`m still here I`m just assisting several customers at the same time.

ok - unfortunately I have to leave.

When the unit drain the wash water out is it draining all of the standing water out of the washer?

And have you removed the filter out of the drain pump and ever cleaned it ?

No problem ,just reply back when you have time to work on the unit

all of the standing water goes out of the washer. I have not removed the filter out of the drain pump Do all machines have this filter?

All Whirlpool built models do !

where is this located and will this cause a suds back up for the clean cycle? I have not had any techs at the house suggest this. They felt like it was residual soap build up even though i use very little feel it was just a design flaw on this machine. they said may tag wouldn't stand by it bc it wasn't a safety issue

And the previous tech are correct ,if you have suds it has to be a detergent build up with in the unit!

The filter can cause the detergent to build up on it and the cleaner breaks it loose so the clean cycle is highly concentrated with detergent.

I also recommend you use a different cleaner .

I have never heard of this oxy cleaner , I recommend AFFRESH to all my customers and it does a great job of dissolving the excess detergent with in the unit.

The filter is located under the drum and you gain access to the filter from the rear of the unit .

The filter is item #35 in this parts break down.

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagram/2/340/00000019/680/900

John, Home Appliance Technician