Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My RFG298HDRS/XAA is making chirping noises below and in…

Customer Question
My RFG298HDRS/XAA is making...

My RFG298HDRS/XAA is making chirping noises below and in rear. It is so far still functioning, but it sounds like a motor or compressor is about to go bad.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

According to my wife, it has been a couple of days now...less than a week.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, my wife and I are going our separate ways and I do not plan to go over to that house. I am trying to get her help.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Wait...calling her right now. No answer, that is all I know so far. All other functions seem to be operating other then the constant chirping sound which sounds like a fan belt slippage in a motor vehicle.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/5/2017
Appliance Technician: Phil, Shop owner replied 4 months ago
Phil
Phil, Shop owner

Hello, if the furnace is ver 40 years old, it could easily be a blower belt out of adjustment... but if its a newer furnace, there are no belt drives, it used direct drive motors.

Smoke detectors in the house are often confused with furnace noises, turn the furnace off to see if the chirping continues, if it does then its likely a smoke detector.

If neither of those is the case, about the only thing that will make that sort of noise is bad blower or inducer fan bearings, and you can expect that in the 8 to 12 year old range....

If you tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I will locate a well rated service outfit for you.

.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

I thought you were an appliance expert. The RFG298HDRS/XAA is a Samsung refrigerator, not a furnace!!

Ah, it came up in our HVAC category, and the model number is ***** the Rheem furnace class so I made a bogus assumption, sorry about that.

My background is 56 years, HVAC and Refrigeration... on a refrigerator the condenser fan motor under the refrigerator next to the compressor will chirp before it goes bad... much less common is a chirping compressor, you can stop the fan momentarily with a rag with refrigerator running... if the chirping stops you know its the fan, if not, its the compressor.

Next clean the condenser coil that the fan draws air across, that will often stop the compressor chirping.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello, I am Appliance Guru, I can help..can you pull the unit out and get behind it?

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician