Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have Viking VEDO266 double oven. Ran clean cycle on both…

Customer Question
Hi- Have Viking VEDO266 double...
Hi- Have Viking VEDO266 double oven. Ran clean cycle on both ovens, upper unit now has "clean" light stuck on and locked door won't open. Probably bad relay or lock? Does entire unit have to be removed from wall to service or can it be repaired in place? Any help appreciated.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/4/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 6 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

IS the unit still hot or warm?

No, I set the clean cycle to go in the evening, the next morning the lower unit was done, but the upper still had the "clean" light on and was cool. That was last Thursday. Now it's Monday, and the light is still on, the door is still locked, and it's cool.

OK I would say the door latch is the issue the motor may have failed on the door latch burning it out, you will have to manually open it then to get to the latch to check it or change it out. You need to get something flexible like a stiff piece of plastic or metal and slide it in between the door and frame and slide it sideways to hit the latch hook and press it to the left or right and open the door that way manually. You will slide the piece from right to left pressing the latch hook left to release it....See here....CLICK ME

All that I ask is please use the FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a *****5 STAR rating***** before leaving.....otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. Also this does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

If the latch is just suck, why is the "clean" light still on? That would seem to me to indicate a problem in the controls, not the actuators.

When the door locks the clean light should come on as only when it is cleaning the door locks.

Have you tried to power the unit off at the breaker for a minute then power it back on?

no effect. Is the switch for the clean light built into the latch or is the light powered by an ecu?

When the switch actuates it send the signal to turn the clean light on, meaning the door is locked. I would check the latch and see that would be more common to fail that the control, but I am not ruling the control out as the failure...the latch would be a lot cheaper though and if you manually got the latch back to the home position and the switch was unlocked in the right position it should work even though self clean would not until you replaced the latch if that is the issue. I hope that made sense.

if I can manage to push the latch back to the unlocked position, you're saying the "clean" light will go out and the oven will work OK until and unless I put it in clean mode again?

Yes correct you may have to get the lacth out and dismount the motor to get the cam back to the HOME position, but yes it should work correct!

Hi there,
I was just touching base with you because I have not heard back from you and the question is still open and unrated, I am not credited anything until a good star rating is supplied I would really appreciate it if you could do that thanks!

I got the thing apart a little while ago, pulled each wire off latch and attached mini-switches one-by-one, "clean" light remained on. Are you SURE a stuck latch will cause the "clean" light to stay on and prevent the oven from heating up on bake, broil, etc.? This sure acts like a bad controller, but I'm an auto tech, not appliance tech.

If you have done that and got it to indicate the correct position to the controller and the light is not off then I would agree you have a bad controller, replace the controller and it should work again fine.

All I ask is please use the....FINISH BY RATING link at the top your page to select a 5 STAR RATING before leaving today....otherwise I receive ZERO credit(NO PAY) from the site for assisting you. Also rating now does not close the question out and you can come back anytime for FREE right here to me......Happy Holidays!

Can you supply a wiring diagram for the latch, switches, and "clean" light? If there is redundancy in the switches, then they all need to be switched together to turn off the light.I will use the FINISH BY RATING button when I get the thing working.

Let me see if another tech can help as the diagnosis has gone a bit further than the question was originally. Just do not reply to tthis as it will only delay assistance.