Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My microwave just started making a hum sound when we close…

Customer Question
My microwave just started...

My microwave just started making a hum sound when we close the door, everything works though. model # pt970sr2ss GE profile

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Six years

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Probably we had the magnetron replaced a few years back by a technician

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No, just looking for the replacement part and if it is not too hard we will do it ourselves

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/4/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

If you get a humming noise when you close the door, it means that one of your 3 door switches has failed or you have a stuck relay on your display control board and the display board for the microwave needs to be replaced. You can't really test the display board but you can test the 3 door switches. There are 3 switches for safety reasons and if one goes bad, the microwave will do weird things to let you know that something is wrong. Either way, you'll need to remove the trim around the microwave and flip the breaker off to the microwave oven unit. Then unscrew the control panel and remove the panel. From there you can reach in through the right side of the microwave to test the door switches with a multimeter. Below is a video on how to test the door switches although the access is completely different on the video below. There isn't a video for your specific model but testing the switches is the exact same process.

CLICK HERE for video

If you find a faulty switch, replace it. If all the switches check good---replace the display board.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.