Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Black steaks appears like mold on rubber gasket of Maytag…

Customer Question
Black steaks appears like...

Black steaks appears like mold on rubber gasket of Maytag Neptune washer model MAH 4000 Cannot wipe it off with chlorine

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

7 years old Model4000AWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes if not too complicated, do I have to replace the gasket?

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Any way of cleaning it instead of replacing the gasket

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Those black streaks on your gasket are mold. You can wipe it down with 20% bleach 80% hot water solution using a rag and that will disinfect the gasket and make it harmless, but unfortunately rubber is porous so the stains will remain. The only way to remove the stains is to replace the gasket I'm sorry to say. The cost of the gasket is about $85 or so and it's part number 12002533 if you wanted to replace it yourself.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

how do i contact a technician to do the job

You would want to call 1.***-***-**** to speak with Maytag and see who is authorized in your area. They can give you a phone number to all authorized servicers in your area.

.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?