Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Jenn-Air expressions microwave stopped working. The turn…

Customer Question
My Jenn-Air expressions microwave stopped...
My Jenn-Air expressions microwave stopped working. The turn tray turns. Timer works. Microwave does not heat food. Attached are two pictures of th unit which part of the Jenn-Air oven and microwave combination.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/4/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 7 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. Have you tried doing a hard reset by unplugging the unit for 5 minutes to do a hard reset?

ok do you happen to have a multimeter that you can test some parts with? now dealing with a microwave can be dangerous. have you ever worked with one before?

I have not work on microwave. I do have voltohm meter. Perhaps if you can give me so direction I can let you know if I can do what you suggest with the meter I have.

ok so what I need from you is your model number. this will be on the inside of the door area. That way I can tell you the parts to test along with how to test them.

I did not see in side the door area information which says model number. I took pictures of all nameplates I found in the door area and I am attaching them elbow. This jenn-air microwave is part of the jenn air expression combination with 30" oven and microwave. Hope this helps. If not I can find out more tomorrow and get back to you tomorrow. Thanks

ok I am not seeing your model number on these plates so I will open this up to other experts who may be able to better assist you.

I will also call someone tomorrow who may know about the model number of this unit. Thanks
I have opened the back of the microwave attached is the picture of the magnetron with part number and capacitor. I recall you mentioned about danger of high voltage. Please let me know what is the easiest way to discharge the capacitor. Also how can I check if it is the magnetron and not capacitor that has gone bad?
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 7 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

I see the last person has opted out of your question!
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 37 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company

I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

The model number of your unit is M170W!

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter and know how to use it? to be able to do any component or voltage testing

You can test the magnetron with a volt -ohm meter testing the mag tube for resistance.

and to properly discharge the capacitor , you need to short one of the terminals to chassis ground .

If you have any questions just let me know.

Thank you Woody. I just saw your text and was relieved to hear that you will be helping me. I am at work right now and will be at home around 6:00pm today. Are you going to be available then? In the mean time I wanted to let you know that I discharged the capacitor last night and then removed the diode to check if it is still good. Diode checked out fine. I will need to take the magnetron out and then do the testing as you will direct me. Please let me know if this evening will work for you. Thanks

No you do NOT have to remove the magnetron to test it just remove the two orange terminals and ohm the winding out you can do that right from the last picture that you sent on the 5th.

All your looking for is continuity between the two leads and no continuity between the two leads and chassis ground.

And sorry I missed you I got off line yesterday about 2:40 I had a 3 o`clock DR. appointment

Thank you Woody I will check as you suggested when I get home this evening. What kind of resistance value should I be looking for? Between the two terminals on the magnetron and each terminal to chassis ground? I am assuming you want me to disconnect external wires to the magnetron before I take resistance reading right? Or leave them on if the external circuit is open?

Yes remove the wire leads from the magnetron for testing.

And all your looking for is continuity between the two terminals no specific reading just continuity, and NO continuity to chassis ground .

Got it. Thank you. So if there is any high resistance (>0) between two terminals and low resistance terminal to ground (short to ground) that would be considered as defective magnetron right?

any resistance between the two terminals mean the mag has good windings,, but if you have resistance between either mag terminal and chassis ground then it is bad.

Thank you Woody for clarification. Especially between the two terminals as long as it is not infinity or open circuit. I was thinking acceptance criteria to be if very low resistance.

Correct no resistance between the two mag terminals is bad!!

Thank you Woody. Have a good day. Will keep you informed of my findings.

No problem ,Be Safe!

Sorry it has taken me long to check what you had recommended. I just checked and found between terminals is zero ohm (like it is shorted) terminal to Chas is ground is open. Is zero ohm expected or is there short inside the negnetrio?

no 0 is a good winding and 1 open to chassis is correct also .

So that is not the issue.

Have you tested to see if the control board is even sending voltage to the high voltage transformer on the primary transformer winding?

Thank you. That is good feedback. I have not checked control board sending voltage to xfmr primary but the will do that shortly. What is the voltage level at the primary of the xfmr? Is the door switch permissive to voltage to capacito and then onto xfmr and should I check that also?

The voltage to the transformer is 120 volts A/C no the door swithes are all on the primary side of the heating circuit the Cap is on the

High voltage side of the system

In the picture attached, in the abscense of schematic diagram, I am assuming the two wires on the top are for the xfmr primary correct? If they are, then can I disconnect them and check 120vac at the wire terminal without connecting them to xfmr for testing?

in that wire diagram the top red wire is the hot leg to the transformer and the very bot***** ***** or two white wire are the neutral side of the transformer.

just in to the white plastic terminal cover is fine just make sure the test leads are touching metal on the terminals .

Got it. I will disconnect the wires from xfmr and ensure test leads contact both female terminal pin inside the white plastic cover. Thank you.

That works!

No voltage at the two terminal pints going into xfmr!! I had the diode checked and diode is good. Does that leave capacitor or the door switch? I just energized the microwave for 10 seconds. Would it have charged the capacitor and I need to discharge it for high voltage charge? What the next component to check? Do you think it could the control board? What are the permissive to energize the xfmr?

let`s check the red wire to ground ,when the unit is running of course.

And you were testing for voltage to the transformer with the unit running correct?

the unit was running. Just checked red wire to ground with unit running. Same results. 1-2vac.

ok so you have the the relay #4 on the control board is not closing to give voltage to the Transformer.

And with the age of the unit that control board that the relay is on is no longer available from the manufacture.

I show the part number was 56001007

Here is what I find on the largest appliance parts dealers web site also .

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Control-Board/56001007/651368

I just disconnected the relay and checked the contact was open and stayed open when ran the unit. One change was with the contact wiring disconnected from relay when the unit was ran, this time the lamp or the turn table remain off. That probable could indicate the contact configuration. Either that or the two wires I disconnected are the relay power leads. You may know more. It has to be the power leads to the relay. I just checked at the connecto of the relay. With the door closed had 15 volts I had selected AC but that could be DCV. Ran the unit -15volts. Open the door - 0 volt.

As to your last photo I`m just going off the photo of the wire diagram you sent m.s3.amazonaws.com/vkOlkOAE/image0.jpg

The forth photo you sent .

And if the cavity light and cooling fan are running when the unit is running that tells me that the other relay ( I can not tell if it is a # 6 or 8 it could possibly be a letter B also )

is closed and has voltage to it and thru the relay

If that relay has a black and a red wire on it you can jump the red to the black wire and see if the transformer is then getting voltage to it or not.

Ok I can try that but what if the 15 volt I read across the black and red wires are the power source to operate the relay coil? If that is the power source would that blow fuse somewhere on the board or heat-up/ damage component on card. Or you think the black and red wires going to the relay are the control circuit permissive wires to energize the xfmr? I did not understand the number 6 or 8 comment you made.
Are you reading 6 or 8 on the black relay or the board? Does the relay coil get power at the two terminals shown?

the relay coil terminals #1 and #2 are 120 volt relay coil Red #1 and white #2 .

The #6 or #8 I`m getting off the wire diagram !!that you sent!

on the relay the Black is power for the relay contact and the Red wire goes to the transformer hot leg

I had to step out for ten minutes or so but I will check when I get back and update you. Thank you

I blew up you photo of the wire diagram .

The transformer relay is A not 4 and the fan and light is B not #6 or #8

I am sorry but I was unable to spot the two relays you referenced on the schematic wiring diagram. In the mean time I looked at the two relays on the board (picture attached). There are actually two relays one large (picture I sent you) and one smaller located immediately below the large relay in below it. On the board these relays locations are identified as RY1 and RY2.
Are
you reading 6 or 8 on the black relay or the board? Does the relay coil get power at the two terminals shown?
I am not at house but will be there in an hour or so and will check. Actually there are only two wires coming out of thevrelay. The black and red. Contact must coming out of the board so the red and black must be power to coil. I will confirm either later tonight or first thing tomorrow. Thank you for your guidance.

I`m going to opt out .

And I think you should to , it seems as if your not able to read the wiring diagram and not knowing what your doing on a high voltage microwave will and can get you killed .

I recommend if your dead set on repairing this old unit , you need to call a professional toy have them work on it .

I hope you understand I`m in no way trying to be mean to you , I just do not want you to hurt yourself .

I know service techs that have had fingers blown off , and have heard of guys getting electrocuted , when working correctly this microwave will produce up to 5,000 volts .

So Please be safe and have Happy Holidays.

I understand your concern and appreciate very much being working as project manager in nuclear power plant. It is a good challenge and I am very careful and do not take any steps in unknown or uncertainties. Currently I got called on a plant issue so I had to put off following thru on your suggestions but I plan to get back on it sometime today and will update you as I do. Thank you again.