Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool dryer model pye2300ayw does not dry clothes…

Customer Question
My whirlpool dryer model...

My whirlpool dryer model pye2300ayw does not dry clothes completely when I use the moisture sensor settings. Clothes come out damp. How do I clean or replace the moisture sensor? Where is it located?

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

Model pye2300ayw. Age uncertain. It came with the house we bought last April. Probably 10 years?

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

There is no moisture sensor on this unit. The way automatic dry cycle works is that the timer advances when the heat shuts off. That means that if your clothes are really wet, the heat will turn on and take a long time to reach it's top temperature. Once it reaches it, the temperature will drop quickly because the moisture and air movement cool down the dryer very rapidly. In the beginning the time will not advance very quick. As the clothes get drier, the heat doesn't take very long to get up to temperature and it takes longer to cool down so the timer starts to advance quicker.

Now this type of system works great unless there is an air flow restriction in which case the air is held inside the drum longer than it should so the timer advances quicker than it should and shuts off quicker than intended. That means that either your vent inside the dryer needs to be cleaned out (typically the lint filter housing at the bottom right before it goes to the blower wheel will be packed with lint), or the vent through your house is restricting the air flow. Disconnect the vent from the back of the dryer and run 1 cycle as a test cycle. If the dryer works better, you know the vent through your house needs to be cleaned out. If it still acts the same, take the dryer apart and clean the venting and such inside the dryer.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?