Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a kenmore 596.72002015...ever since we replaced the…

Customer Question
Hi, i have a...

Hi, i have a kenmore 596.72002015...ever since we replaced the water filter we have had poor water flow...ice is made by not full pieces...limited flow thru the water dispenser....looked at the coils behind the crispers and they don't appear to be frozen...when I push the water dispenser I can see air bubbles moving thru the tubes but then water flow stops...if I wait 3 min and push to dispense water I get strong water flow for about 5 seconds then it slows to a drip

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The model number in the chat is from the door label...looks like it was 205

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

2015

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Have tried to drain water to see if it is just air in the lines...but it is taking a while to move the water

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

If you put the old filter back in does the pressure improve?

don't know, threw the old filter away...wish we had tried that
text works for me

Well, it is most likely that the new filter is bad.

1. When you replaced it, did you holds the dispenser open for a couple minutes to purge the air?
  2. Did you buy the OEM replacement or an aftermarket filter?
Didn't Purge the air... Was an aftermarket filter from Amazon

Hold the dispenser open for a couple minutes to allow the air to purge from the system. Does the flow improve?

It runs fine for 5 or 6 seconds then slows to a drip... Can see air in the lines behind the crisper... If I wait for 3 min...I can get good flow for 5 seconds then it goes back to a drip

Just hold the dispenser lever in to dispense for 2 full minutes. What happens?

Have tried holding it open for 5 min... Can see the bubbles moving in the lines but it goes really slow after the first 5 seconds... Have tried to cycle that process 4 or 5 times

Ah, okay. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Ok

Provided the water supply to the refrigerator is good, the issue is likely with the aftermarket filter you purchased. They tend to be very problematic. I know they are much less inexpensive, but....

I would replace the filter with the correct one from the manufacturer.

The link below is to the part you will need!

CLICK HERE

If you would be so kind, would you please remember to rate my service USING THE STAR SCALE at the top or the bottom of the page before you leave today? If you don't, I receive no credit for my work. The deposit you placed stays with the site. You may post back at anytime with follow up questions. Please let me know how I may earn your 5 star rating! Thank you so much!

Assuming replacing the filter works that's a great answer.. if it doesn't then I'm out another $40 for a new filter and will still have the same problem

No, if the new filter does not solve the issue, you send it back for a refund if ordered from the company I linked you to.

I send the filter back... That still doesn't solve my water flow problem
If a replacement filter doesn't solve the problem then the filter likely wasn't the problem

No, if the issue is not resolved with the new filter and you have verified the water supply to the refrigerator is good, then either the inlet valve is bad or the filter housing is. However, when they fail they don't usually allow the first few seconds of dispensing to be good.

Ok putting in the new filter...I won't be able to purge the air from the lines for 3 minutes before I install the new filter

The air is purged by holding the dispenser open after you install the filter.....

Kelly, Appliance Technician