Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

The ice maker does not shut off when ice tray is full and…

Customer Question
The ice maker does...

The ice maker does not shut off when ice tray is full and eventually it is difficult to open ice tray and fridge eventually clogs up and freezes up. We mut then unplug it and let it thaw out and restart it...for another month or so...and the same problem comes back. Model PNR22LGEFWW

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

One and one half years old. Model PNR22LGEFWW

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it is easy to fix.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All else is A All else is aok!

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
12/2/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Just to make sure we're on the same page, This is a french door unit and the icemaker is in the upper left corner of the freezer correct?

Correct (Bottom freezer)
No

OK perfect. The way this icemaker works is that it has a white spring arm that sits on the bottom of the icemaker and it pulls in every time the icemaker cycles. Then it dumps the ice and pushes the arm back out. If the arm hits ice and it can push back out all the way, it's not supposed to make ice anymore. Unfortunately it sounds like yours isn't shutting off and there is no adjustment or fix for the icemaker because it's a sealed unit so you'd have to replace the entire icemaker to fix this issue which is part number IM6 if you wanted to replace it.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I simply wish to know what to do to shut off (stop) the icemaker when tray

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?