Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Samsung Microwave #DE98-01438A. It does not heat…

Customer Question
I have a Samsung...

I have a Samsung Microwave #DE98-01438A. It does not heat up. It was working fine earlier. The only I did was wash the grease off the top where the air comes out. I didn't think any water got into the holes but it didn't work later after I did that. It lights up and I can use the timer and clock but no heat. Help??

Contractor's Assistant: What Samsung model do you have? How old is it?

It's Model MCO165VW, Serial DJ1502706. It was installed 3/16. The contractor put it in so I don't have a real manual to check this out. Cathy Buffum

Contractor's Assistant: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?

I'm afraid I don't know what the TV menu means. Is it the buttons that you use for cooking etc.

Contractor's Assistant: How long has this been an issue with your MCO165VW? What happened right before this?

I have had no issues with this at all. It happened when I went to heat frozen french fries. I can't think of anything that would of happened before that but a breaker hear the microwave popped and had to be reset. It wasn't the microwave breaker though.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?

I guess not except how hard is it to replace if we have to. We did not see this installed.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/1/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 8 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

I apologize about the confusion, this question was submitted under the TV category which is why they kept asking you about a "TV". Either way, it was just moved to the appliance category so now I can help you.

It doesn't sound like this has anything to do with your cleaning the vent, I think that is just a coincidence. Either way, if the microwave still looks and sounds like it's working, but it's just not heating--that means your magnetron has likely failed. The magnetron is the part that actually creates the microwave to heat the food and it commonly goes bad and rarely gives a warning. The part itself costs about $100 with shipping so depending on the condition of the microwave and whether you can replace it yourself, it may be better to just replace the microwave rather than repair it. Also, it will require you to un-install the entire microwave and remove the outer shell in order to access the magnetron for replacement so if you called a technician out it would be another $150 for trip and labor. Below is a link to the magnetron you'd need to order and replace for your model number.

CLICK HERE for magnetron

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?