Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a newer Samsung fridge with top fridge and bottom…

Customer Question
Hi mike I have a...
Hi mike I have a newer Samsung fridge with top fridge and bottom drawer freezer. This repair man is saying that the top fridge is not working because a part was burnt due to power surges and from what I can tell I have a 4 way power outlet on left is one set with a little green light and on right where my fridge was connected is another set with no green light. So I can't tell if it wa splurged to the power surge or not because I don't know if the one light applies to all four or not. This guys says it will Costner about $900 to fix this
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 4 months ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

One moment please..Note it takes time to type and add links so please be patient. Also the site will send you a phone call offer, that is not me.

What is the make and model and can you remove the rear panel behind the unit to access the control board to see it? It is the small cover on the back of the unit.

Samsung TF26J7500SR/AA

OK can you get behind the unit to get to the board?

The repair guy is here looking at the two. Cooling unit
Inside the panel is frozen but the air won't come through. Was this a matter of just letting it defrost and re start it maybe? They say they will charge 900 to fix it all
We can't get to back panel because they took out the inside fridge covers to look where frost is coming from. I just want to make sure this is normal when these units go back after a year and a couple months this unit died on top fridge but freezer is still working

That is likely a defrost issue you need to remove the rear panel in the freezer section. If the evaporator is built up with excessive frost you need to defrost the frost build up with a hairdryer or steamer. Then you need to check the heater for continuity and the defrost thermostat for continuity as well, that is clipped to the evaporator. It has to be cold to test it and it should read continuity with an ohm meter as well when cold. If all that tests good you likely have a bad defrost control. If you can not remove the panel just defrost it completely and try it.

All I ask is please select the 5 STAR rating at the top of your page before leaving otherwise I receive ZERO credit for assisting you. BONUSES are always appreciated...Thanks and you can come back anytime for free followup questions & Happy Holidays!

The bad defrost control problem is then something that a repair person had to fix then, right? I guess what I need from you is just an overall second opinion that these newer fridges have parts that burn out from power surges as the repair man is telling me he is absolutely sure a power surge or succession of power surges resulted in this until dying over time. He also assures me that the fridge is worth keeping and this won't happen again IF we use a power surge unit to power the unit. That's all I need just a second opinion that this is mor eoxmmon on newer fridge sod this kind

Lets do this defrost the whole unit thoroughly then run it get back to me if everything cools down fine again right away.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician