Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Have a kenmore washer 417.43142200. Front loader. I had to…

Customer Question
Have a kenmore washer 417.43142200...
Have a kenmore washer 417.43142200. Front loader. I had to replace the back part of the drum due to the bearing going out. After I replaced the drum and put it back to together the spin cycle only works ever so often. I can hear it starting up and trying to get up to speed but then it stops and switches back and forth like it is washing again. It try's to get up to speed several times then it times out. The pump activates and I've tried on all cycles. Once in a while it will kick in and spin but most of the time it does not.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
Also....when the lock light is on I know that for kenmore it locks the soap dispenser but I can open it when it says it is locked. The light goes out when I open it during the spin cycle. After I close it the light comes back on. I have pushed in the door to see if that would help but it does not.
Before I replaced the back part of the drum it worked fine.
Sounds like it could be the motor control board (controller). If the lock switch was bad it would not even start spinning.
I am just wondering why it would go out after replacing the drum. The machine is at least 12 years old.
11/30/2017
Appliance Technician: Webb-Guy, Handyman replied 6 months ago
Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Handyman

Hello, and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. Sorry to hear that you are having this trouble. I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question if you are still needing help that is?

Hello Travis,
Happy Holidays first off.....I still need to trouble shoot the washer. I have pulled the tech sheets and am trying to make sense of it. I have the front, top and back cover off. I have tried to test a couple of pigtails that were listed in the diagrams etc. I took a look at the control board but don't see anything wrong. I tested the motor and it is fine. The timer moves and 1 out of 10 times it catches, the final spin does but the rest of the time it just looks at me and times out. Please talk to me in Laymen terms if you would. I can rebuild computers and cars but not Washers. It seems pretty basic but I have already spent $300 on the back tub and I just don't want to have to buy a Locking switch, board or speed controller. So with that being said. what ya think?
Doug
If you call me will that cost me 37 plus 27?
$24

S​adly yes it is but the phone call request is not from me I am not sending it that is something the site does. Please just disregard it.

Is there anybody out there who might be able to help me?

M​y apologies I had sent a message last night but it doesn't seem that it goes through. So the door is not staying locked during the spin cycle?

No the door is fine. I was just saying even though the door locked light is on I can open the soap tray and the light goes off. I can close the soap tray and the light comes back on.
But I don't believe that is the issue. If the door lock switch was faulty the drum would not spin at all.

no the soap tray is allowed to open ok I thought you were referring to the door lock itself. Ok one moment please.

now have you made sure the belt is attached still after replacing the bearing?

I did I made sure of it. The back panel is off and I am spinning the wheel no issues Every cycle works fine except for the final spin
I did I made sure of it. The back panel is off and I am spinning the wheel no issues Every cycle works fine except for the final spin.

so​ then the only thing that makes sense here is that the motor control board is the problem and is going to need to be replaced.

In your opinion is that normal or is that typical for that model to have that happen?
It shouldn't be the stablelizer correct?

Well it quite often can fail its basically like a computer they fail all the time. With the bearing having gone bad it could have very well broke the board. (throwing the board off trying to make the unit run as it should but couldn't)

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me. It has been a pleasure assisting you today.