Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Bosch SHU 4026UCU06. It cleans and rinses just fine…

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a Bosch SHU 4026UCU06. It cleans and rinses just fine but recently started leaving standing water above the filter after completing the cycle. It doesnt always leave water but it does most of the time. the filters and drainlines are clear. Can you help? Thanks, Charlie

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Bosch is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

The Bosch is close to 20 years old now. SHU 4026 UC?U06

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I am pretty handy.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I know

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 3 days by:
12/3/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 7 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?

I do not consider this a response to my Question. Please answer the question

It was not meant to be an answer to your question. I was just asking if you still needed help. I am guessing by your response that you do.

How is the drain hose attached to your home's plumbing?

It is hose clamped to a tee on the sink drain. It is directly below the sink and above the trap.

Can you remove that hose/connection and inspect for any blockages?

Hey Rusty. I said that the drains were open in my question. I removed that hose and blew thru it into the dishwasher. The last time the dishwasher ran it emptied perfectly. Soooo Rusty do you think it may be the timer, that is no longer available as a spare part? If so I answered the question myself, unless you have something new to offer. Like a timer. orrrrr?

You shouldn't have been able to blow back into the dishwasher from the drain line. There is supposed to be a check valve there to prevent water from coming back into the machine after it pumps out or from a sink. That you could blow through it would indicate that the check valve is not sealing and is likely why you see water intermittently. It is probably pumping out fine but seeping back in through the drain.

Hi Rusty, Ty for prompt reply. I said the dishwasher emptied completely the last time it cycled. I can load the sink with water. when I pull the plug It drains with gusto and not into the dishwasher. When the dishwasher doesn't work correctly, there is about gallon of water (like I said above the filter screen) left in the dishwasher. The hose may hold a quart at the most. I could replace the check valve. Do you really think that would solve the problem? What if it does not? Then what? Is it the Timer Rusty? The part that is no longer available. Do you know where I can get a new timer? Do I need to replace the dishwasher because I cannot replace the timer ? Did I answer my own question?

I do not think it is timer related, no. I suspect it is an issue with the check valve or the drain hose. The drain hose narrows at various points and oftentimes will catch small items, like rubber or silicone feet from cutting boards, etc. They won't pass and may not always block water flow but then get to one of the narrow spots and cause an obstruction until pressure is taken away and then they fall back. I would pull the dishwasher out and remove the complete drain hose all the way to the drain pump and check all the hose and the check valve.

Hi Rusty. The hose is a hose it does not narrow. Anything that could plug the hose would not pass thru the filters. In my humble opinion you have not answered my original question. Being sometimes it works and sometimes it does not.

Okay, good luck.

No, thank you.