Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My washer seems to skip the spin cycle and not properly

Customer Question
My washer seems to...

My washer seems to skip the spin cycle and not properly draining. The light is flashing that it is done but the washer is still locked. I can then choose the spin cycle and it will go through the motions but the clothes are soaked after. This is the only way for the washer to open.

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Whirlpool Model LHW0050PQ and I would say it has to be about 10 to 12 years old maybe even older but hard to tell. My parents owned it and then passed it along to us

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If it's even possible.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I am draining it right now and it has such a bad smell. I am not sure what is wrong.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/29/2017
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 8 months ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

My name is Woody.
I`m sorry to hear that your having issues!
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

So would you say is a normal wash cycle that the unit is never even being told to drain and spin ? and it will only drain and spin when you manually tell it to do that?

that is correct but even when I tell it to manually spin it is still not doing a great job. It sounds loud.
Also I am draining it now and it smells

ok this smell is it a stagnate water smell or a burning electrical smell ?

Stagnate water smell

ok so does he unit even try to drain the water in the normal wash cycle or does it just stop before it get to the drain mode of the cycle.

I ask due to you saying even when you do the manual spin it does not do a good job getting the water out of the clothes.

It does try to drain the water. The clothes though are extremely wet.
It works its way through the wash cycle. Then goes to the spin/drain but it sounds loud. When finished the light is flashing and I cannot open the door. I have to manually hit spin again and once again super loud and sometimes it unlocks the door and other times it is still locked.

ok so it is in fact draining just not spinning the water out of the clothes in both a normal automatic cycle and a manually programmed drain and spin cycle .

Can you tel if the loud noise is from the drain pump motor or from the drive motor?

I can't tell
It may be the drive motor but not sure. If the drive motor would it be loud through the whole wash cycle as well?

yes if it is the drive motor it should be loud during a washer agitation mode also .

Does the unit maker the noised as it is draining or only when it spins ?

Trying to narrow down the noise to the pump of the tubs rear bearings in a spin mode.

And the drain pump comes on and runs for 2-3 minutes before the unit starts to spin.

any thoughts?

Does the unit make the noise as it is draining or only when it spins ?

s to spin.

It makes the noise during both
It is more prominent in noise during the spin. The drain pump does come on it seems.

ok since your saying in both drain and spin it has to be from the drain pump motor .

Have you ever opened that small door on the lower right corner of the front panel and cleaned out the pump filter?

I opened up the little door on the right side. I unscrewed the cap and letting it drain out.
Is that what you are talking about? Is there some other way to clean it?
This is where the smell is coming from of stagnate water.

yes unscrew the cap and pull out the filter catch and clean it out , you may have something in the filter / pump that is making the pump be noisy.

And if that filter has debris in it it will then slow the water going into the pump , thus slow drains and possibly noise pump operation .

Then after you clean it run a short washer with out clothe and see if it run and sounds better.

Sorry I never have done that. I only opened up the cap. I didn't know that whole thing could come out.
It was completely full of stuff. I have now cleaned it out fully and washed everything down and put it back together.
Could that have been causing the issue?

yes to both the slow drain and no spin and even the noise also .

Okay I am running a short wash now so we will see. Thank you so much

No problem ,let me know how you come out please.

will do

Thank you!