Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a U-Line wine refrigerator and the light won't come…

Customer Question
I have a U-Line...

I have a U-Line wine refrigerator and the light won't come on and it won't cool any longer. Any suggestions?

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?

U-line Wine Captain Model 1075WC

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Unless it is a big task

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I don't think so

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 4 days by:
12/4/2017
Appliance Technician: Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician replied 4 months ago
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, I am sorry nobody has gotten back to you yet. Are you still needing help with this?

Thank you. So it is totally dark now, no lights or any sign of life at all, and not cooling at all?

Correct. There is no lights and no cooling

Are you certain the outlet it is plugged in to is live?

I will pull it out of the cabinet later today and test the plug. I doubt that is the problem, but it is worth ruling out.

Yes, the alternative is a costly part so we definitely want to make certain the outlet is good, Oftentimes, a ground fault will trip and go unnoticed. Let me know what you find!

I felt well enough today to pull out the wine fridge and check the power. There is definitely power coming into it, but no light and it is not cold. What do you suggest now?

So it may be as simple as the ON/OFF switch is faulty (or turned off).

1. Do you have a meter to test to see if it is faulty?
  2. If you switch it on and off a couple times, will it come on?
I have tried the switch with no luck. I don't have the meter, but will see if I can get one. I will get back with you

Thank you.

I am sorry it took me so long to get back with you. I just got a new bulb for it today (had to order it online) and it does work. It is the cold that doesn't work.

Are you able to test that power switch?

No. The connections are in the back, so it would require me to pull it out somehow.
The refrigerator does make a hum sound all the time, but it is not getting cold.

If it is humming it is probably running (the compressor) so, if that is the case, it is likely out of refrigerant.

What is that and where does that go

The refrigerant? It is the coolant used in the sealed refrigeration system but is not something you will be able to fix. It will require very specialized equipment and training. If you can get access to the back of the unit we can verify the compressor is running.

Rusty S
Rusty S
Rusty S, Home Appliance Technician