Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE refrigerator but it was not cooling enough and…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a GE refrigerator but it was not cooling enough and freezing anymore. The temperature displays 24 for freezer and 48 for the refrigerator. Also the ice maker is not making ice

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

It is a side by side refrigerator/freezer with Model # GSS23WG

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Or GSS25WS

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

GWW25WGTAWW is the exact model number

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Appliance
11/28/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 6 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, no frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?