Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

If, after removing the rear panel, and no blockage is

Customer Question
If, after removing the...

If, after removing the rear panel, and no blockage is evident, should the fan automatically start (due to the warmer air now present)?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just started today (followed the steps that the technician laid out on the web page)

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If possible/not technically difficult, yes, I will do it myself.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Nothing else - only want to determine if the fan should be operating automatically when so much warm air is present. (Because, if it should run automatically, but doesn't, then I've identified the possible problem with the top half of the freezer not freezing the food - the fan needs to be replaced.)

Contractor's Assistant: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?

Sharp, Model #: SJ-D51H-GY The setting is at the highest possible in the freezer.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Billy Olenick, Customer Service replied 4 months ago
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick, Customer Service
My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you out today with your appliance repair. We are on an honor system here and are only paid for our services once rated so please don't hesitate to rate me. I will continue to help you through your appliance repair even after you rate me. Thank you.
If you have voltage at the fan and it is not on replace the fan.
How do I check for voltage at the fan?
You will need a volt meter
Set it to voltage and test the wire connection at the fan
Short of going out and buying a voltmeter, are there any signs that the fan might need to be replaced, other than what I had stated previously - about the fan not starting when I removed the back panel? (Is the fan supposed to kick on when the temperature in the freezer compartment rises? Or, as I've been reading, it kicks on when it's colder inside the compartment?
When the compressor is running the fan should be running
if the bottom half of the freezer freezes food and the top half doesn't freeze food, then this indicates that the compressor is working, correct? Therefore, the fan then should be running continuously as well?
that would indicate that the compressor is working and the fan should be running
Two questions: (1) Is the operation of the compressor automatic - cycles "on" and "off" as needed?
(2) When the door of the freezer is open, does the compressor cycle "on" or "off?"
A thermostats controls the on/off function of the compressor as needed. When the freezer door is open the compressor is not affected. However the fan on some refrigerator systems will shut off when you open the door
Ok, then it might seem that I'm back on "square one." The issue is that the top half of the freezer doesn't freeze food while the bottom half does freeze food. I opened the back panel to see if there might be a build-up of ice, resulting in blockage. The whole back area was completely clear / very clean. Again, apart from the fan being the cause, what other possible reason(s) are there for the "half" freezing condition?
What are the settings set to on the refrigerator
What is the model number that is inside or on the refrigerator please
For years, the freezer setting has been on "7" (the maximum). The refrigerator section is on "5."
Sharp, SJ-D51H-GY
I believe that your damper control is bad. Try turning it down in the freezer
How much air do you feel going down into the refrigerator?
In your opinion, reducing setting from "7" to "5" is okay?There is cold air going down into the refrigerator; but, it isn't air ("slight breeze") that you can actually feel (can feel that the temperature is cold below).
Apologies - I misread your question - actually, I don't feel any volume of cold air coming thru the vents in the refrigerator.
When you move the freezer control does it change the amount of air you feel?
When I move the freezer control, there is no change to the amount of air (in fact, there is no air blowing in at all). However, when I close the freezer door, I can hear a soft "whirring" or "gentle humming" sound kick on inside the refrigerator. As soon as I open the freezer door, the sound stops completely. (The same thing happens when I open and close the refrigerator door.)
When you open the freezer door can you press in the door switch
when I press the door switch, the fan kicks on and cold air can be felt blowing in. (Great - the fan is functional!)
Okay now we are getting somewhere. In this case we are down to the damper control and the cold control thermostat
Now you can put the back panel back on so we can do the next test please.
Again, both cold controls have not been touched / changed in years ... freezer always at highest (&) and lower - refrigerator - one set at "4.5"
highest (7)
I understand
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick
Billy Olenick, Customer Service