Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have are whirlpool refrigerator. The ice maker quit

Customer Question
I have are whirlpool...

I have are whirlpool refrigerator. The ice maker quit working. I found ice cubes jammed up in the storage/dispenser tray. Cleaned out tray. Still won't work. Is there a reset button somewhere? Thanks.

Contractor's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?

MODEL: ED5LHEXTD00 It is about 8 years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes. I replaced the original mechanism in the door when it was a couple of years old.

Contractor's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Not that I can think of. Thx

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 7 months ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Unfortunately there is no reset button for this icemaker. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

I hope I have earned a 5 star rating. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top or bottom of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ice maker works fine and kicks out ice. The dispenser will not activate the ice feeder in the tray.
I am trying to analyze the problem. Not ready to work on it as I don't have/know which parts I may need.

So are you saying the bucket is full of ice but it just doesn't dispense it out the front of your door?

Before you said your icemaker didn't work.

It was working great, then didn't. I thought it was the wedged cube, as I explained earlier, caused it to trip a reset button. But if I am understanding you, it doesn't have a reset button?

OK got it. Correct, it doesn't have a reset. You have have to go through the steps I gave you the first time to determine what problem you have.

Ice making part works fine as stated originally. I don't see any steps you have given me to proceed from that point forward to analyze what it wrong.
No. Just tell me and what to order.

I'm getting confused here. I'm talking about the icemaker part working fine "as originally stated" when you clearly said "The ice maker quit working" in your original statement. Then later I asked you to clarify and you said "It was working great, then didn't." Now you're saying "Ice making part works fine as stated originally". I'm going to opt out as I can't understand what you are trying to say and I have tried to clarify several times now.

Very disappointed, again. I have worked on many different mechanical products. It doesn't appear you now your stuff. Please refund my credit card.